The United States of America (USA) has the world’s largest number of international students.
Quality education, a distinctive curriculum, a cosmopolitan environment, and a plethora of opportunities are just a few of the reasons why many international students choose to study in the US.
A student visa is one of several prerequisites for studying in the United States. Before applying for a student visa, you must understand the process and study visa criteria.
The F1 VISA is granted to international students planning to study in the United States.
This blog focuses on the F1 student VISA application procedure to help you understand what an F1 VISA is, what F1 VISA rules are, and what F1 VISA requirements are.
Visit our counselors at Global Reach Bhutan to understand everything you need to know to have your USA academic VISA requirements figured out as soon as possible.
What Is A F1 VISA?
A non-immigrant F1 VISA allows international students to enroll full-time in an accredited USA university approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
Before applying for the student USA VISA, you must be accepted into a recognized USA university.
You must submit an F1 VISA application if you wish to travel to the US for the following reasons:
- University or college
- High school
- Private elementary school
The I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) document is supplied by the educational university that will mention the expiration date of your program, which will help you determine how long you can stay in the USA.
F1 VISA Requirements
When applying for a student USA VISA, you must examine numerous F1 visa rules.
Students must meet the following criteria for an F1 student USA visa:
- Institution certificate: The university where you have been accepted must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
- Enrollment: You must be a full-time student at the university/college.
- English language proficiency: To enroll in an academic program, you must have the required level of English proficiency. You can show your command of the English language by completing standardized English proficiency tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.
- Adequate funding: You must prove that you have enough funds to pay for your education and living expenses during your stay in the US.
- Home country residency: You must have a residence in your home country to return after completing your study.
Checklist Of Documents
Here is a list of the necessary documents you will need to submit with your student F1 USA VISA application:
- Passport valid for at least six months following the completion of your program.
- Recent passport-size images that match the photo criteria for the USA VISA.
- Documents of previous degree/diploma.
- Bank statements for your Visa application.
F1 VISA Application Process
1. Admission Documents From SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program)
To process your F1 student USA VISA, you need to get accepted to a SEVP-certified USA university. The university will provide you with Form I-20 once you receive an acceptance letter from the university.
It is the most important document and consists of your study plans and supporting information about your stay.
2. Payment Of Application And F1 USA VISA SEVIS Fee
The student USA VISA fee is $160. Payment of a certain amount is necessary to obtain a receipt for your interview documents. The overall cost of an F1 student VISA comes to around $510, including the VISA and the SEVIS fee.
Note: Remember to collect the SEVIS fee receipt you will need for your visa interview.
3. F1 VISA Interview
You will receive an interview appointment letter once you have booked it.
After submitting the DS-160 form and paying the fee, your educational advisor will book your visa interview.
The interview is a mandatory step before receiving your student visa.
The VISA counselor will ask multiple questions during the F1 USA VISA interview to confirm you are coming to study in the USA as a serious and legitimate student.
The VISA interview questions revolve around your motivations for visiting the United States and the educational institution you plan to attend.
4. F1 USA VISA Processing Time
The interview is the final step in applying for the F1 USA visa. The processing of the F1 USA VISA can take several days in some situations.
After the interview, the interviewer will congratulate you on receiving the VISA or inform you of the reasons it was denied.
You can also monitor the status of your F1 USA VISA using the CEAC barcode on the DS-160 confirmation sheet and the CEAC VISA Status Check web portal.
Validity of F1 USA VISA
Your USA VISA is valid the entire time you attend university in the USA.
If your degree program lasts two years, your student F1 USA VISA will be valid for two years. If you only get a one-year visa and your degree program lasts two years, you can request to renew it later.
Make sure to follow the recommendations and the checklist provided above. Having everything structured will help you smooth out the procedure and boost your chances of getting the USA visa.
This entire visa application process is essential if you want to study abroad. Within your VISA restrictions, you must collaborate closely with your educational consultant to have a clear understanding of the Visa application process.
The application process can be strenuous and exhausting for Bhutanese graduates, but not any longer!
Global Reach can help you have a hassle-free admission application process. Find out 7 good reasons to choose the USA as your study destination that are recognized and ranked as the best for higher education.