Canada Study Permit: 8 Steps In Applying For A Study Permit
Canada: A Beautiful Study Destination
Many students aspire to study abroad. Countries such as Australia, the United Kingdom, and the USA are well-sought after. Apart from those mentioned countries, Canada is rapidly gaining popularity as a study destination amongst various students worldwide. In addition to a high-quality education system, Canada also provides numerous future prospects and vibrant culture.
To study in Canada, you will need a student’s visa or a Canada study permit. The question stands; is it difficult to get a study permit for Canada? Figuring this out will play a crucial role when deciding where you want to study in Canada. So, this blog contains the 8 procedures involved when applying for a Canada study permit.
- What is a study permit?
Study Permit ≠ Travel Visa
Before proceeding with the main steps involved, the first and foremost thing is to understand the purpose of a Canada study permit/visa.
Foreign nationals who wish to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DHI) in Canada require a certain document. This document acts as a gateway allowing them to study in the designated country. This document is called a study permit.
You must apply for a study permit before traveling to Canada. Be mindful of the fact that the study permit is not a travel visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). Once your study permit is approved, a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) will be issued with your study permit.
- Receiving an acceptance letter when applying at a Canadian University
Canada University Acceptance letter: The Initial Phase
The first and foremost thing is to decide the location where you want to study in Canada. There may be a lot of factors that determine when making this decision such as the course chosen, the dream location or university, personal interests, and the financial background. After being accepted at a Canadian university, you will get an acceptance letter required for the visa application. Some of the Canadian universities recommended are as follows:
- Brock University
- Seneca College
- University of Regina
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- Mount Allison University
2. Check to see if you need to apply for a student visa in Canada
Are You Already Eligible?
There are certain situations that let you not need a study visa or permit. To find out if you need one or not, you can use the official Canadian study permit tool. You don’t need a study visa if any one of the following situations applies for you:
- You are a family or staff member of a foreign representative in Canada. You must be accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development Canada.
- You enroll in a study course that lasts less than six months.
- You are a member of the foreign armed forces from the Visiting Forces Act.
- You are a citizen of another country having an Indian status registered in Canada.
Even if the situation mentioned applies to you, you will still need a travel visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
3.Starting application for a Canada study permit/visa
Steps Towards Student Permit/Visa
After receiving the acceptance letter from the university, and that you aren’t eligible already, it is time to proceed with the next step – applying for a student permit/visa.
The initial steps involved are as follows:
- Applying online for your Canadian student visa, on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website before arriving in Canada
- Sending the visa application documents by post if you have a limited internet connection or cannot submit the documents online
- Providing an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution – a university recognized by the Canadian government
- Delivering proof of sufficient financial resources to support your studies in Canada (tuition fees and living expenses)
- Presenting proof confirming you have no criminal record
- Submitting clinical records that state you are in good health; submit complete medical examinations if required
There were certain reforms in the visa regulations recently. The reform states that if you have a family member working or applying for a work permit in Canada, the application for your study permit will be processed in two weeks. You may renew or extend ,upon your will, your study permit if:
- You wish to continue your studies
- Your course has an extension
- You change your university
The study permit expires in 90 days upon receiving a notification of the course completion.
4. Prepare all required documents for Canada student visa
Canada Study Permit: What Are The Required Documents?
The following documents are necessary for a Canada study permit.
- Filled-in student permit application form
- The original letter of acceptance from the university
- A valid passport/travel document, which also allows you to return to your home country
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with specifications of name and date of birth on the back
- Proof of financial support during your study duration – between 10,000 and 11,000 CAD per year
- A letter of intent
- Proof that you paid the study permit fee of 150 CAD
5. Language testing proficiency
Clear Your English Tests And Study Abroad
Unless you are from an English-speaking native country such as the United Kingdom, the USA, and Australia, you will need to submit a proof of English proficiency test. Canadian universities will accept the following language tests:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic
- TOEFL – Test Of English as a Foreign Language
- PTE (Personal Tests of English) Academic
- C1 Advanced (formerly known as Cambridge English Advanced – CAE)
Biometrics: Is It A Requirement From Where You Come?
The requirement of biometrics depends from country to country. The biometrics fee is 85 CAD which is in addition to the regular visa application fee. Local visa application centers may charge a small fee for using their services.
The waiting process
It’s Worth The Wait
After applying for your Canadian study permit, the processing time may take an average of 90 days. This also depends on the situation in your home country.
You can use the Student Direct Stream, if eligible, to get the study permit faster. Fees start at 150 CAD and the processing time is usually around 20 calendar days. If you are from the following countries, the Student Direct Stream can be applicable:
- The Philippines
Studying in Canada is any student’s dream come true. Being ranked as one of the best countries in the world, the quality of both living and education is top-notch. To apply for a student’s visa in Canada is not hard but it does take a lot of time and effort. The procedures explained can act as a guideline for anyone wishing to apply for a Canada study permit. Once done successfully, it only takes a few waiting days for you to receive the student’s visa. Keep in mind that the study permit will not act as a travel visa. You will receive an electronic travel authorization (eTA) upon receiving a study permit.
Hurry up and contact one of the best education consultancies and placement firms in Bhutan to help you fulfill your dreams to study in Canada
Slogan: Join us! It only takes a minute
Please follow the link below or check the details regarding Chhundu Enterprises ECPF, Global Reach
Phone: +975 2 334362, +975 2 339817, +975 17129314
Address: #23 SD Plaza, 4th floor, Norzin Lam, Thimphu, Bhutan.
Are you planning to study abroad? Click the link to find out can bhutanese students get a post study work permit?