Top 5 cities in Australia as a study destination
Australia is a popular study destination for international students. With its stunning weather, remarkable beaches, world-renowned universities, and beautiful vistas, Australia is not cheap for students. It is affordable compared to America and U.K, the top two study destinations. It is also home to multiple universities that rank among the top 100 universities in the world.
International students in Australia have the opportunity to work 40 hours fortnightly to help pay for the university fees. During vacations, students also get to work unlimited hours.
It is a unique and eye-opening experience to study in Australia. Keep reading to find out the top five cities in Australia as a study destination.
University of Sydney
Under the New South Wales (NSW)state, Sydney is one of the most culturally diverse cities globally, and currently, it is the most popular city for international students. It offers a wide range of flexible education institutions like TAFE, colleges, and pathways to universities.
This city is Australia’s financial and economic hub and offers excellent employment opportunities to students after completing their business courses. The expensive rents and high per-hour rate makes the quality of living in Sydney fantastic. Sydney is inclusive, like many other cities in Australia, and every day you meet people from different backgrounds, geographically and culturally.
Thanks to the number of universities in Sydney, it has more than 800,000 international students. This is why Sydney is a student city.
Sydney: What to do and see
- The Sydney Opera House (one of the 6th wonders of the world) to watch live performances and done in Bennelong restaurant inside.
- Climb 134 meters of the Harbour Bridge and take photos.
- The Rocks is a heritage district home to 100-year-old buildings standing along with modern cafes and art galleries.
- The famous Bondi Beach is perfect for enjoying a beach day with delicious food stalls and restaurants.
- Take a train or bus to Circular Quay to dine out in celebrity chef’s restaurants.
- Every year Sydney celebrates the Vivid Festival (celebration of lights) that attracts Aussies and tourists from neighboring cities near Sydney Bridge.
Here are the top 5 world-renowned universities in Sydney:
- University of Sydney
- University of New South Wales (UNSW)
- University of Technology
- Macquarie University
- University of Western Sydney
University of Melbourne
The Victorian state has (VIC) Melbourne city that embraces its reputation as a student city with its high quality of living, extracurricular activities, and attractions. Melbourne is a synonym for cultural capital in Australia because of its attractions, such as Yarra Trams, the small cafes because Aussies don’t joke about their coffee and the Australian Ballet company.
Melbourne is an ideal city for you to study if you want to enjoy student nightlife and laid back afternoons on the beach during a break.
Melbourne: What to see and do
- Visit the National Gallery of Victoria, the oldest art gallery in Australia.
- Queen Victoria Market sells delicious street food and local produce.
- St Kilda neighborhood is perfect for spending a day off with its historic funfair and beach.
- See Little Penguins in Phillip Island.
- Explore street art on colorful backstreets.
- Visit local craft breweries.
- Have a road trip on the iconic Great Ocean Road.
- Balloon ride over the city.
Below are the top 7 universities in Melbourne:
- University of Melbourne
- RMIT University
- Deakin University
- Monash University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- La Trobe University
- Victoria University
Canberra is the capital city of Australia
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) houses Canberra, Australia’s capital, with its nickname, the bush capital.
It also has the Canberra Deep Communication Complex that is part of NASA’s Deep Space Network. This city offers various outdoor activities with its bushland city Lake Burley Griffin, a man-made lake in the city center.
Unlike Sydney, this city does not have beaches within walking distance, only via bus.
Canberra is ideal to live in, between Sydney and Melbourne because if you miss city life, the two famous cities are a few hours’ drive. Canberra is away from the bustling city, making it an ideal place to raise a family or enjoy a laid back lifestyle. It is a wonderful student city because it is easier to get employment upon completion of education.
There are only two universities in Canberra, Australian National University, one of the country’s highest-ranking universities, and the University of Canberra.
Canberra: What to see and do
- Visit the National Gallery of Canberra that houses works by top artists.
- Go bushwalking (recreational hike into the wild) in Namadgi National Park.
- Hot balloon in the skies.
The University of WA
Like other cities in Australia, Perth offers an excellent quality of living and a tourist attraction, but with a quieter vibe. It is the capital of Western Australia (WA) and the fourth largest city in the country. Perth is one of the most desirable cities but also one of the most isolated cities globally.
This city offers a unique culture and culinary experiences, friendly locals, and clean coastlines. Perth houses high ranked universities, making it known as the “Student City.”
Top 3 universities in Perth:
- University of Western Australia
- Murdoch University
- Curtin University
Perth: What to see and do.
- Explore historic Freemantle, heritage buildings, alfresco restaurants, and coffee houses.
- Art Gallery of WA holds contemporary Aboriginal (first people to live in Australia) art.
- Relax in a clean and green space, Kings Park.
- Home to the Pinnacles Desert, 25,000-year-old rock structures.
- Beach day at Cottesloe or Metthams Pool.
- Kayak or travel in a boat cruise to Swan River.
- Wine tasting in the Swan Valley.
5. Gold Coast
Gold Coast is a coastal city under Queensland State and is 66km away from Brisbane, the capital of Queensland. It is famous for the suburb, Surfers Paradise that is ideal for surfing, rollercoasters, and nightclubs. With its coastlines, it is home to some of the best beaches in the country.
Top 3 universities in Gold Coast:
- Bond University
- Griffith University
- Southern Cross University
Gold Coast: What to see and do.
- Surfing is a must-try if you are in Gold Coast.
- W.atch and join colorful street performers.
- Visit nightclubs that are a few minutes’ walk from each other.
Australian cities reflect the laid back and welcoming multi-cultural communities. Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, and Gold Coast all offer great things to do and experience while studying.
If you need help applying for the Australian student visa, contact Global Reach, Bhutan’s first education consultant. Hurry up and contact Global Reach online for consultation because they select only a few clients every day due to Covid-19.
Also catch up on the Scholarships offered by James Cook University